THE STORY OF A SCHOOL
By Len Eastgate
Len Eastgate came to Dorney School in January 1958 when the school was in the Village. He moved the children into the new building in Harcourt Close in 1958 and, from those modest beginnings, the school has grown to the establishment we have now. He left Dorney School in 1969. John Price was then appointed Headteacher, followed by Chris Luckin in 1985, and then by Margaret Wright in April 1985.
Even though Len Eastgate moved to Great Missenden School in 1969, he continued to live in Dorney and played an active part in many local organisations. On his retirement he researched and wrote these chapters about the history of education as it affected the Village. They were published month after month in the Dorney Parish News from September 1988 until his untimely death early in 1991. The reader will wonder what would have followed in this story if Len had been allowed more time to continue with his writings.
Miss Eleanor Catherine Bennett came to Dorney School in 1919 and continued as the Headteacher until her retirement in 1952. She was a pillar of the local community and served on many committees throughout the years. She first wrote the articles, which are introduced in Len's text, for the Dorney Parish News in 1966-67. She died in May 1972 at the age of 84.